Swelling in the ankles can be a sign of heart issues for women. It’s something that should be checked out if you’re not sure why it’s there. I get periodic swelling when I’ve been sitting along time (like when I was traveling to Florida last week) and I’m more prone to ankle swelling when I’m on a certain prescription medication (one of those darn side effects). I have a friend who had lymph nodes removed during cancer surgery and she’s struggling with swelling in her ankles now. And I have another friend who had a traumatic brain injury and uses a wheelchair for ambulation and she struggles with swelling in her ankles. And I have a family member who gets swelling during hot muggy weather (and is under a cardiac physician’s care) but is fine in the air conditioning.
I created an essential oil cream blend that supports circulation in the ankles for all those situations that I thought I’d share with you here.
Beautiful Ankles Cream
2oz doTERRA Scent Free Lotion
12 Drops Cypress (Circulation: For improvement of circulation, relief of swelling and pain caused by varicose veins, and reduction of inflammation and edema in the limbs. Menstruation: Cypress is often used in massage blends to alleviate cramping. Musculoskeletal: Cypress has anti-inflammatory and analgesic actions, and is very useful for rheumatic conditions. Its antispasmodic activity can help with restless leg syndrome.)
6 Drops *Grapefruit (Astringent: Grapefruit essential oil is frequently recommended for use in skin care blends for its toning (contracting and tightening) effects. Cooling: Grapefruit essential oil is reported to have a cooling effect when applied to the skin. Diuretic: Grapefruit is frequently cited as being useful for combatting fluid retention.)
6 Drops Juniper Berry (Congestion and fluid retention: Juniper Berry is widely used for edema, lymph congestion, bloating, varicose veins, and fluid retention. It can be used in blends to counteract tissue congestion along with Cypress and Grapefruit.)
2 Drops Helichrysum (Musculoskeletal: Helichrysum is very useful for muscle and tendon damage, inflammation, bruising, joint pain, and swelling. Injury: For soft tissue damage, pain, inflammation, bruising, and prevention of infection.)
Massage a small amount on ankles. Repeat up to 6x a day for as long as needed for relief to get your beautiful ankles back.
Use within one year. Store in cool and dark area to prevent oxidation of essential oils. Discontinue use if redness or irritation occurs.
(Information provided in parentheses about the therapeutic benefits of each essential oil comes from the certification course I completed through Aromahead.)
OFFICE USE *Safe use of phototoxic oils: Grapefruit (cold pressed): 24 drops per 1 ounce (this blend is within the safety guidelines for use on areas that may be exposed to sunlight)
Here are some common questions I answer about using essential oils:
- I studied to be certified as an aromatherapist for 2 years
- Essential oils are extracted from plants, are natural, and help support the body to heal itself
- Essential oils have a chemistry that can be used for supporting the natural healing ability of the body for those experiencing different issues
- There is research on the use of essential oils on ailments on the PubMed website
- Not all essential oils are the same, a cheap bottle of “Lavender” from your local dollar store may cause skin irritation and irritability when it should be very skin healing and help with anxiety and sleep and this is why that can happen … the FDA does not regulate the industry and essential oils can be labeled pure but 1) may not be pure at all (may have weeds or other plants in them), 2) may have synthetic components mixed in with them, 3) may be from plant material that was sprayed with chemicals, 4) may be 1 drop pure and 100 drops of another oil (very diluted), 5) may be taken at the wrong time of harvest or harvested during rain which changes the healing chemistry that would normally be typical of the oil and 6) may be taken from a 2nd or 3rd pressing of the plants (like making tea from an old tea bag) and thus the resulting “oil” is very weak. One lab bought and tested a cheap bottle of Frankincense off the shelf from a store and tested it and there was NO Frankincense in the bottle at all! Frankincense normally sells for about $100 a bottle and the “cheap” bottle was about $10 … but it was really worthless. Authentic Frankincense is used for cancer and aging and many other applications … it’s a powerful biblical oil
- You want to buy essential oils from reputable sellers who provide a current GCMS report on the chemistry showing the purity of the plant – I purchase my essential oils online and buy most of them from a company called Doterra … good oils are not cheap but they offer amazing natural health benefits (often without any side effects you can get from prescription meds)
Essential oils work with the body and help it to heal over time, they are supportive and like brushing your teeth, should be used regularly to get results. This is because they are working at helping the body heal the underlying cause of the problem rather than simply masking a symptom.
Are you interested in a personalized custom blend to support your health? I’d be happy to help, just click on the “custom blend” link above! If you’re interested in the Beautiful Ankles Cream and don’t want to invest in all the different supplies, I can make one up for you @ $30 if you’re in the lower 48 states of the USA. And if you’re interested in natural alternatives to health and want to buy essential oils yourself at wholesale prices, I can help there too! Don’t hesitate to reach out and contact me! I’m excited about the natural options and opportunities offered by the effective use of quality essential oils.