I set aside today to work on my talk for Saturday’s International Health and Wellness Summit. I was pleased to be asked to be a speaker and I had some ideas in my head that I wanted to get down on paper.
When it came time to getting to it, I suddenly felt nauseous, so I grabbed a protein drink. Then I felt achy in my body and feverish, so I check my temperature (normal) and used an essential oil for pain. Then my mind went blank and all I wanted to do was watch a movie, so I did just that. After the movie, there was such a heaviness in my body, I dragged myself to bed and took a two hour nap.
Upon waking, I felt like most of the day had just been wasted and I wasn’t in the mood to do any work. The heaviness was still there and I thought a walk with my dogs in the sunshine would help clear things up. As I was walking I started to think about what to do to work towards my talk and an inner voice that seemed very young said, “I don’t want to” and “you can’t make me.”
There’s a name for that voice, it’s called Resistance! And I know you can move through resistance by tapping (using EFT), but I was even resistant to tapping. I didn’t want to move through the resistance. I was perfectly fine being in resistance. Or was I really fine?
Just like a parent has to do some things that a child doesn’t like, I had to be the parent and just start tapping. And so I did and I honored that younger voice of resistance with these words while tapping through the points:
- I don’t want to tap
- I don’t want out of resistance
- I don’t want to work on my talk
- I won’t do it
- I don’t like it
- You can’t make me
- I hate this
- I hate doing something I don’t want to do
- I know it will help people
- But what if it’s not good enough
- What if technology fails us
- What if I look stupid doing it
- I just want to hibernate
- Go in a cave and sleep until all this goes away
- And if you make me think about it, I’ll create confusion
- So you won’t even be able to do anything productively
- I want buttered popcorn
- I want to watch a movie
- I’m tired
- I can barely put one foot in front of another
- I want to sleep
- My body feels tight and twisted
- I guess I can go for a walk
- But you can’t make me tap
- And I know this is all resistance
- This is what inner resistance looks like
- And I know the younger part of me that first experienced the cause of this resistance didn’t know tapping
- And that’s why she is resistant to tapping
- Because what if it doesn’t work
- Checking into my body to see what it feels like now
- I actually feel lighter
- Ready to take one small step towards working on my talk
- I know intellectually that tapping works, but this tapping thing really worked
- I feel so much different now
- I’m energized
- The resistance is gone
- I don’t know why this surprised me, but it still does
- It’s like a miracle
- My body feels free
- My mind is ready to work
- Let’s go and open that computer!
- I’m ready to get going
And so I did! I felt totally different after tapping. Calmer. The younger voice was content and no longer triggered. And I checked off a lot of things from my “to do” work list.
Resistance often comes up when you’ve worked towards something in the past and it wasn’t successful. Your mind says, “why try again?” and creates all those different distractions. You can react to resistance in different ways, maybe you were authoritarian, put yourself down, and forced yourself through resistance saying to yourself, “This is stupid, you WILL do this, get a move on.” That does create accomplishment but it also creates inner resentment.
If you’ve ever experienced resistance and want kinder ideas on how to work through it, you’re in luck because my talk on Saturday is all about using the Emotional Freedom Technique to overcome the resistance like this … I’ll be presenting Developing Courage Despite Past Failures, Healing Goal Trauma with EFT.
Check out the Summit’s Facebook page. You can read about the presenters and soon information will be on there giving you a schedule of the presentations and how to access them for free. I hope you’ll support me by listening in to my talk! Click here for free Event Registration! Looking forward to seeing you Saturday May 9, 2020 @ 1pm Eastern Time!